© 2008 • Privacy Policy • Terms of Use

St Mary’s Church

Rector: Daniel Hartley

Assistant Priest: Phil Osler

Churchwardens: John Woodley and Penny Fenton


St Mary’s Church is part of the Benefice of Thurlestone, South Milton, West Alvington and Churchstow.  A monthly Parish magazine (The Rock) is produced for the group.

The aim of St Mary’s church is to provide a menu of different styles of service so that both those who value traditional worship and those who value modern worship can find a home there.  They look forward to welcoming you.

The regular services are listed below.  For details of services on Saints’ days and festivals please see the Parish magazine (The Rock) or the church notice board.  For the very latest venue and time information, please click the link on the left.


CW = Common Worship (modern)

BCP = Book of Common Prayer (traditional)

Wednesday: 6.30pm Evening Prayers (a very informal service which is held in the side Chapel.  The type of service is called Daily Office and is taken from the Common Worship Daily Prayer book).


The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a prominent landmark in the Kingsbridge countryside, and may have existed since before the Norman Conquest in 1066. The present building is a late 14th century church, built entirely of the dark local slate, with a fine buttressed tower of the South Hams type. The south aisle is early 16th century. The font is Norman, on a new pedestal and base.

Click for this month’s services

11.00am Family Service (CW)

11.00am Holy Communion with hymns (BCP)

11.00am Morning Worship

11.00am Holy Communion with hymns (CW)

11.00am Benefice Holy Communion at one of the four churches            

First Sunday:

Second Sunday:

Third Sunday:

Fourth Sunday:

Fifth Sunday:       

Church organ:

The church contains an interesting organ which is in a plain wood case, situated behind the south choir stalls, with the console facing north. The open space beside it highlighting it as a prominent feature. It was built by A. Hunter of London and was brought to Churchstow from the Exeter area. It has two manuals, a radiating concave pedalboard and balanced swell pedal, with eleven speaking stops and three couplers. Included in the swell division is an 8' Keraulophon, a stop more commonly found on theatre organs.

In 1996 it was rebuilt by Michael Farley. Mice had severely damaged the felt, and also the leather of the bellows, which had to be replaced. The blower was also replaced and the pedal action electrified. The display pipes on the front of the case are beautifully stencilled, as can be seen from the picture.


1914-18 War Memorial:

A small marble plaque hangs above the Roll of honour on a wall in the church. It bears the inscription:



The names follow and underneath is another inscription


The names of the three men commemorated are:

Private George Augustus Albert Auger of the 8th Battalion, the Devonshire Regiment. Son of  Mr. and Mrs. W. Auger, of Buckland-Tout-Saints, Kingsbridge; husband of Emmie Auger formerly Lee, of 4, Hood Cottages, Dartington, Totnes (married in 1914). Born in Kingsbridge in 1895. Died 25 September 1915 aged 20.

Private William Andrews Luscombe of the 1st Battalion, the King's Royal Rifle Corps. Son of Garland and Lucy Luscombe of Higher Holditch, Churchstow. Born in Churchstow in the March Quarter of 1899. Died 3 April 1918 aged 19.

Sapper Alfred Edward Clark of the Royal Engineers. Son of R. and G. Clark, of Churchstow; husband of Elizabeth Mary Clark, formerly Wilton, of 102, Fore St., Kingsbridge. Born in Churchstow in the June Quarter of 1883. Died 1 March 1919 aged 36.

Church Organ

1914-18 War Memorial